Monday, August 3, 2020

July 2020 Is History

These trails twist and turn through almost a medieval fairy tail setting. Totally feeds the soul when hiking around these 10,000ft +/3,084m + locations. A number of times I just stopped to listen to how quite the world can be. My heart grew three times. Smile Inducing


NUMBERS:
Biking Miles - 476 but only 22 days of riding
Hiking Miles - 21
Activities - 30
PR's - 13
Miles On The Year - 2,456.2 miles ( July 2019 536mi )
Kayak River Miles - 24


One of the highlights while riding the River Trail, Wildlife!! There was this little dove perched on a Cottonwood limb singing away. To my left was this crazy alien looking spacecraft clearing the tree tops by inches without moving a feather. POW!! It was a Bald Eagle in stealth mode and just as it approached the dove, threw forward its razor sharp talons, nothing but little white feathers lingered representing where that dove once sang. Like A Cartoon


Another moment worth mentioning here was completely engulfed by Mother Nature last week. Full on Bluebird Day here in Colorado. I rode out to Highline Lake and the thunderheads climbed into the atmosphere while I rode. While on my return trip, a massive headwind slowed me to a defeating crawl. Before I knew it, massive tailwind propelled me for about 2 race pace miles. Then, the sky opened up. I was soaked in a matter of minutes. Welcome To Colorado, Just Wait 5 Minutes


RADIO SHOW:

On the 28th of July, tribute show, hosted Wildlife On The Highway. One of my better shows but not perfect by any means. Still continue seeking that elusive perfect show. Opened the show with Mr Blotto covering America The Beautiful and then it was classic B-Side rock. Here is the link to the show https://www.radiofreeamerica.com/show/wildlife-on-the-highway-2-kafm-community-radio


Some of the deep cuts I threw out there were from Super Tramp, Outlaws, Mountain, The Allman Brothers, John Lennon, Join Mitchell, Tom Petty, Peter Gabriel, April Wine, The Doors, David Bowie, Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, and Steely Dan. Loads of piano cover instrumental tunes as background tunes while I spoke on the mic. Again, this was a tribute show for Old Dog that recently passed away so a number of stories were shared surrounding Old Dog's influence on community radio. Good Stuff


RIVER FLOATS:

My latest adventure down the Mighty Colorado River covered 9 miles / 14.4 km in 3 hours time. Obviously on a high water day and adding some animated effort, could be rushed in about two hours. Will have to admit that the water has never been so damn refreshing. I would submerge my towel in the current with the water plunking against my boat and then draping the cool wet towel across my legs for a decrease in overall body temp. Refreshing


Something way cool happened and was unaware of just how many species or genus of Dragonfly's are out there. One in particular appeared black but translucent with a giant red spot on both wings. Together we floated along while the river pebbles whisked about in the under wash like pieces of glitter. Super Cool


A number of blueish grey Dragonfly's lazily found my boat and a few opted for a little rest on my UV protected long sleeve shirt. I wondered if this was a sign or just a coincidence?? And the birds of prey were plenty to say the least. At one point, wasn't sure what I was witnessing. It was a baby boy buck swimming across the river. Only its rack, eyes, and snout were above the waterline as it effortlessly fought through the swift current. Dig It


NIGHT SKY:

August will showcase a number of autonomy highlights. The Delta Aquarius and Alpha Carricornids meteor showers are tops on my radar. The Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn will all dance together in the night sky. The Sturgeon Moon will be full on August the 3rd. A waning gibbous moon will meet up with Mars by August the 8th. With a ready telescope, the 15th of August will offer a rare double transition across Jupiter. Two of its major moons will cross in front of Jupiter and be sweet. Looking forward to this one. On the 28th, basic binoculars, Saturn plays hopscotch with Mr Moon. Good Stuff


STRUGGLING:

There are two aspects of my current life were I am clearly struggling with. One is finding it more and more difficult to have meaningful conversations with folks based of facts and logic. Consistently dodging combative responses and plain and simple delusional reactionary replies. On a number of occasions I have witnessed someone speaking far from being present and spouting off absurd BS comments. Head Shaking


My other issue is that I truly miss bodywork. I miss my practice and I miss the human interactions. I miss this form of giving back. I miss contributing to the community and I miss having something to offer. I really miss the older folks telling stories and reminiscing in general. Our weather has been scorching with over 100F and guess what ......... The virus has yet to magically go away bigly


MOUNT SOPRIS:

Here are two photos for Sondra. I went up and over McClure pass last week and Mount Sopris was in clear view with all its glory. The Boy Dog & I climbed this beast many moons ago. Back before blogging was cool and no printed photos unfortunately. Sure wish I had taken the time to print photos of that Boy Dog. Damn U Digital Times


This would be the view from McClure Pass facing North. Sopris is just outside the world famous Hot Springs in Glenwood Springs. Hike up to the top, experience the vast landscape, and back down for a soak before dinner. Totally Feasible


GOALS

  1. AUG 2019 664 Miles
  2. Work Through The Dark Years
  3. Hydrate 
  4. Rebuild My Resume
  5. Seek The Best Possible Outcome
  6. Be Thankful For The Little Things 


Cheers

73 comments:

  1. Lovely gravel road there with nice scenery.
    The wild flowers are looking pretty and good.
    Sometimes it's hard to find people who will talk with some common sense.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wildflowers Are Going Off These Days - Well Over Hip High - Vivid Colors Dot The Lush Green Mountain Sides - Such A Peaceful Time Of Year To Just Sit And Be - Thanx For Checking In - Enjoy Your Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Isn't it fantastic viewing the beautiful scenery, the Bald Eagle and the dragonflies, nature is awesome. The Old Dog tribute show included some of my favorites, Lennon, Van Morrison, Peter Gabriel and The Doors. August sounds like a great month for skywatching, I hope we have clear days during these events. Good luck with your August goals, 36 is my favorite.. Have a great day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical Surroundings - A Byproduct Of This Tribute Were The Amount Of Folks Calling In To Share A Story That They Had With Old Dog - Keep Looking Up As The Sky Is Alive

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. That should be goal # 6... not 36 lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...you sure are a moving dude. The pool of people who possess facts and logic is shrinking at the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... Totally - BCV, Small Talk Was Acceptable With The Goal Of Some Common Interest - Been Enjoying Your Photos - Take Care Brother T

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. That's quite a hike in riding hours from July Padre, is August a bit cooler over there. Gosh it sure is tough out there in the wild, I'm thinking about the dove and eagle incident 😱 You have some wonderful images for us here, it does indeed look magical 💜 I can hear how much you want to get back to healing, hopefully soon. I tried taking some shots of a dragonfly a few days ago.. impossible! Take care and when I get a bit of the time to myself I'll have a listen to your radio show, take care and don't waste your time talking to chumpsters 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Perth - Really Appreciate It - Unfortunately Its Even The Donald Supporters - A Wacky Lady And A Stubborn Old Man Were Chewing It Out At Our Local True Value Hardware Store - Flipping Out Over What And Why - Would Prefer A Brew With A View Over Debating With A Non Listener - Have A Blast This Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. I enjoy hearing of your adventures on the bike and on the water. Photos of insects are difficult to take though I captured a grasshopper digitally this morning. Lucky shot.

    I listened to some of your radio program and enjoyed it too. It is interesting to pair your voice with the written word of your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right On - Thanx For Streaming The Link - Pleased You Are Able To Put A Voice To A Name - Stay Well

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. Did you read my mind? “Super Tramp, Outlaws, Mountain, The Allman Brothers, John Lennon, Join (sic) Mitchell, Tom Petty, Peter Gabriel, April Wine, The Doors, David Bowie, Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, and Steely Dan” ! Great music choices (on the whole).
    When I clicked the link to KAFM your tribute to Old Dog was there. I saved the link for more later.

    Thanks for letting me find your terrific blog.

    I spend lots of time head shaking in these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Shake My Head - Pleased About These Tunes Landing In Your Wheel House - Rock On

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Loved your narration of the swift attack of the eagle and your float down the river. Then of course all of us or at least most of us are missing the social interaction for real despite the virtual alternative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Magic - I Completely Agree - Stay Strong This Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos along your journey, your dove story did shake me up, and such is life, tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shake It Out - Stoked You Like These Photos - Be Well

      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Wow, you are active and... same here, too much BS-talking (which looks mean, as the abbrivation for my city, Braunschweig, is BS!!!! "Henry" is a bit...HM).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying My Best To Stay Active - Believe, Somedays Are Difficult To Answer; Why Get Out Of Bed??

      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanx You For Finding My Photos Fantastic - Pleases Me For Sure - Enjoy Your Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  12. Beautiful! You make me yearn for the good ol' Colorado Rockies!! Nearly 2500 miles in July? And you tallied nearly 700 already? I am totally impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Colorado Rockies Are Majestic - Thank You For Such Kind Words - Wish Me Luck Here In August

      Cheers

      Delete
  13. Really beautiful scenery. The poor dove. Take care and stay safe. The BSers are getting violent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Gorgeous Locations - Enjoy Your Weekend - Stay Safe

      Cheers

      Delete
  14. How wonderful to see a buck swim in that way...OHHH I'd love to be seeing Sopris right about now we were dealt a blow by the storm with the name I cant pronounce. My Sis was over on McLure Pass area at the little campground looking at birds a week ago...It's so pretty in that area. keep doing the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Am So Pleased You Saw Mt Sopris - Those Campgrounds Are Packed Every Time I Drive On By - Dopant Matter If Its A Weekday Or Weekend - Thanx For Following Along

      Cheers

      Delete
  15. Beautiful scenery and nature all around you. Glad to know you're out and about in the thick of it. Enjoy it and I know what you mean about having conversations and istening to people's stories. I miss it too. Way too much crap in the world these days. Have a good week, Padre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenging Myself - Knew You Would Understand - I Even Mean Simple Bus Stop Conversations - It Bums Me Out That We All Lack Sympathy And Compassion - No Excuse For This Behavior - Have A Good Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  16. Wonderful photos Padre! We are walking early every morning to get our nature fix. Rabbits, foxes, squirrels and plenty of birds, not quite as dramatic as a Bald Eagle!
    Keep safe on your travels,
    Alison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased Your Walking - Nature Is The Perfect Rebooting - Thank You Alison

      Cheers

      Delete
  17. Beautiful scenery! I especially like the night sky. The mountains have so much charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome To The Tribe - Be Well - Enjoy Your Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  18. Beautiful photos and interesting post 😊

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dearest Travis,
    That was quite an active month of July for you!
    One can only imagine how quiet nature can be at that altitude.
    Sad for that dove, for being snatched out of life by that diving eagle.
    Must have been almost scary to witness.
    You got your showers while being in the great outdoors and guess, over such a length of time it takes to go and return, the chances are quite high for getting a ‘blessing’.
    But no doubt they feel fine with that day temperature!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and achievements with us.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very Active Every Hour - Who Needs Sleep - It Was Righteous Witnessing That Bald Eagle In Flight - Extremely Powerful - Nice Cool DOWN Pour - Thanx For Stopping By And For All Of Your Thoughtful Comment - So Appreciated

      Cheers

      Delete
  20. I am always fascinated by dragonflies too. There's just something incredibly beautiful and mesmerizing about them!

    If I haven't said it before, you are truly lucky to live near such beautiful places. Indiana is so flat and boring, I often think I need to move elsewhere to really soak in Mother Nature's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They Are So Cool - Have A Wonderful Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  21. Good to know you are going well. It does puzzle me when normally sensible people say strange things. Even one blog mate who I've known for a long time (not American) has denied the existence of COVID, and she is a school teacher! Your photos are luscious as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ups And Downs - Blows Me Away With The Lower Vibrational Quality Of Conversations - Thanx For Checking In

      Cheers

      Delete
  22. Spectacular scenery! So sad for that dove though. Poor thing!

    Incredible photography, Padre!


    ReplyDelete
  23. Be thankful for little things- I think it is soo important for our health and mind, I try to remember about it everyday, cos life is really precious. The views are spectacular! Have a lovely day☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know Right - So Important To Remember - Thanx For Dropping Positive Vibes

      Cheers

      Delete
  24. Good morning, I really enjoyed reading your post-Good you are able to enjoy the outdoors hiking and going down the river. awesome to view the eagle-we have eagles here and was always hoping to see them fishing.
    it is sad one can no longer have a civil conversation over the issues-people just talk at you and don't know how to converse in a discussion any more sad times that need to change-
    awesome views-I have always loved the mountains-I lived in Denver back in the early 70s I was a cord board operator in downtown Denver back then and then later transferred to Indiana where I had to learn to work on a computer type board for the calls.
    Enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx For Popping In - Dig Those Bald Eagles And All Birds Really - Sure Hope Some Folks Find A Grip Soon - These Mountains Are Calling Your Name - However, You Would Be Shocked By The Big City Growth In Denver

      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Hi Yes I think I would be-I know they got a new airport since I was there and perhaps a new broncos stadium--I got to go to a home game back then-very fun Happy Friday and weekend

      Delete
  25. WOW, such utterly mesmerising views! How I'd love to be in a place like that, rather than sitting here, in the centre of town, with only the sounds of continual traffic passing by!
    It would be sheer paradise!😊😊
    Oh that poor dove...almost broke my heart...🙁
    Great goals here...especially no.6. That one I definitely need to make my own this month!

    Have a super day!

    Cheers 👍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't Imagine Living In The Big City And All The Consist Noise - Thanx For Checking Out The Goals

      Cheers

      Delete
  26. Your number are always impressive as are your photographs. You walk, hike and cycle in some amazing locations. Isn't nature the best place to find inspiration? Your story about seeing the alien like creature- the bald eagle in stealth made me giggle. The birds of prey are amazing, aren't they? Always so magnificent in flight and they can be so silent.
    It is getting hotter, isn't it? Doesn't seem to hard the virus unfortunately or whatever this pandemic is. Let's hope for the better times. Nice you were able to see dragonflies.
    I sympathize with you on the lack of dialogue issue. We live in society that is loosing the art of talk, the art of a dialogue. There are so many polarized opinions and people seem to think they need to be on the extremes of everything for their opinion to count. We are thought it is easier this or that, a way of thinking that has too many labels and that is too limited. Not everything is black and white. It is as if people are just looking for arguments. Indeed, it is hard to have meaningful conversations these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Ivanna - It Is Rather Motivating - Yes, Its Been Way Hot - Agreed , Some Do Project Arguing Behaviors - Sucks

      Cheers

      Delete
  27. 13 PR's?!?! Way to go. I love those moments that you describe so beautifully. That's mother nature, constantly giving us peace and reminders of how life can turn on a dime (thinking of the dove).

    Keep having fun. I sure hope that your bodywork can come back. I am seeing my PT weekly (my body doesn't hold up without work on my spine regularly). We wear masks and goggles (yes, we look silly) and it seems safe. I sure hope for your work to restart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You And Thanx For The Thoughtful Comment - Keep On With The PT As BLK Dog Is Counting On You - Enjoy The Weekend

      Cheers

      Delete
  28. So nice that you are spending time in nature. Fairy tale setting indeed.
    You mentioned: There are two aspects of my current life were I am clearly struggling with. One is finding it more and more difficult to have meaningful conversations with folks based of facts and logic.

    I have a practice these days with : Opinions. It is teaching me so much. By definition they are not based on fact. So all they really show us is something about the person saying it. It started with: your opinions and my opinions are known of my business. Our world has a large presence of opinions. I am not taking them as seriously. It is so freeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good On You, Don't Take Them Seriously

      Cheers

      Delete
  29. Listening to your broadcast as I type this. I like the deep cuts! That float trip looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right On - Would Love To Hear Your Feedback - Floating The River Is Such An Attitude Adjustment - Always At The Right Time

      Cheers

      Delete
  30. Good trails with wonderful scenery and nature all around.....

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, your story along the Mighty Colorado River and seeing many dragonflies there ... made me imagine their beauty.

    If I were in a river like that I feel like throwing myself in to swim 🙂

    Have a good weekend, Padre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The River Feels Beyond Refreshing - Thanx So Much For Checking In - Much Appreciated

      Cheers

      Delete
  32. Wonderful pictures and such an interesting post.

    Your observations about Dragonflies has gotten me thinking. For a while I was very interested in them. They are indeed fascinating creatures and there are so many species. I may try to photograph some soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brian, Thanx For The Kind Words - It Really Was Quite Amazing How Many Dragonfly's Came To Visit - Such Distinct Wings - And Such Cool Heads And Eyes - Snap A Few Photos When You Think About - Take Care

      Cheers

      Delete