Sunday, April 7, 2019

Greg Booker RIP Brother Man

Mikey called me the other night and I found that to be very odd. I always call him. I was in the middle of 5,000 things but I took his call anyway. So you could only imagine what a punch in the gut it was for me. Why U Might Ask?

Spring Training 1998


During the World Series run of 1998, Booker lived in our hotel during home games. He would always leave tickets for employees and always hooked me up with road tix when I was traveling. The 1998 years was epic, to say the least. I caught at LEAST one of the home games from the 3 to 4 game series and those games were at Jack Murphy Stadium. AKA The Murph. I traveled to Chi-Town, Milwaukee, New York, San Fran, Smell-A, Colorado, Arizona, Atlanta, and St Louis for ball games that year.

My seats were always fantastic but I would keep my eye on the front row behind home plate. By the 7th or 8th inning I would sneak my way down and sit there as if I owned the place. Made ESPN highlights a few times during that run of 98. Trevor Hoffman would dominate the 9th inning and there I was, front row, wearing a Padres hat, cheering him on. So many Hall Of Fame players on that 98 team.

Booker was the Bullpen Coach at the time, after the game, the RP's and back up catchers would walk towards the dugout, through the infield, within an ear shot, I would yell, " Booker!" Eventually, as the Playoffs approached, they all would wave or give a nod in my direction.

Booker always had a grin on his face and later coined my with the title of Super Fan. Even my coworkers called me Super Fan. Even though we all knew that I was in love with Mr Padre, Tony Gywwn

Backing up a bit, I and friends would travel out to Peoria, AZ for Spring Training every year. We established this yearly adventure in the early 90's and I loved it. Every year was pretty normal but Spring of 1998 was different. The vibe was different. The players were so personable and relaxed that year. They Knew, We Knew, It WAS Going To Happen.

Booker was such a cool dude. He was one of those guys that took the time to listen. No matter what, he made you feel important. 58 is way too young. We kept in touch through CrackBook but hadn't seen each other in years. Damn

We last spoke over the phone when he was the skipper for the Syracuse Chiefs. He asked me all kinds of questions about my life and talked with enthusiasm about his son and his own family. That was Booker, no time for himself, always smiling and wanted to know about you. Phuc - N - A

The good news is the fact that Booker knew how to live life. I would be sad about his passing if he was a gelatinous couch blob. Booker was full of life, rich with success, and carried himself the way that you would want your own child to be. Booker, I will toast in your honor during the NCAA Championship Showdown Tomorrow Night.

                           * * * * *                      * * * * *                  * * * * *

I don't know this TTM guy but little did he know, he incapsulated the true giving nature of Mr Gregory Booker. Its only a minute and 50sec long, thanx for watching.



So Now, Please Take This Time To Remind The Ones You Love, WHY You Love Them. Go Ahead, Pick Up The Phone, Reach Out, Make It Count.

Rest In Peace Brother

P.S. Booker also was a relief pitcher for The Padres during the famous 1984 season. He was fortunate enough to have experienced the World Series as a player and coach. The stories he told me about those jaw dropping events, will never forget, and he shared those tales with a smile.

14 comments:

  1. May his soul rest in peace.
    Heartfelt condolences to you and all bereaved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for you loss, sounds like a great guy. I made the trip to Jack Murphy Stadium a few times to watch the Padres and Rockies play each other when I was stationed at El Toro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Toro, You Lucky Dog!! Right??
      The Murphy was one of the multipurpose stadiums and we all sure took advantage of it. Many motocross events, The Charger Games, US Fest Tours, Soccer Games, Pink Floyd's Division Tour, U2 twice, Elton John with Billy Joel, and who knows what else. What I am saying is that I have tremendous memories of tailgating with friends and family. Thank You For Taking Me Back Down Memory Lane!!

      Go Padres

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful tribute you have created here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon,
      I Appreciate Your Kind Words.

      Thank You

      Delete
  4. That's my kind of obituary. Treasuring the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie,
      I Am Thankful That You Still Walk The Earth With Us. Thanx For Checking In.

      Cheers

      Delete
  5. Sorry for your loss. Hugs. Memories get us through and you have some awesome ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Beth!! Booker was one of a kind.

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Oh that's so sad Padre, and yes 58 is waaaaay to young to go, I guess when it's your time it's your time. I did watch the video, it does show Booker was a kind man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy , He Sure Was. Thanx For Checking In

      Big Hugs

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry for your loss of a good friend. He was gone much too young. I know the way that odd little details, like Mikey calling you instead of vice versa, make you know that something is terribly wrong. I will try to live as if my friends might be gone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete