Tuesday, September 23, 2014

New Client

Modified by knees on the floor
I had a very interesting weekend at the office this past weekend. Was it the shift into Fall from Summer?? Maybe Yes, Maybe No?!?! I received a phone call last week from a client that wanted to book an appointment as SOON as possible. This client said they had "everything" wrong w/them & heard that I could help. Something was different about this new client & I already had 4 clients on the books & that is just about all I prefer in one day, but I had that "feeling" that this should be a situation that I better accommodate this one extra client.

And I am so glad I did!! After a full day in the office, this client walks in, sits down, & begins to pour their heart out to me. I could only just sit & do what I seem to do best, LISTEN. This client found out that I had just competed in the Lead King & has wanted to change their lifestyle for years. I reassured them that by simply picking up the phone, a new pattern has already started. After talking about goals, ideas of realistic goals, I asked about nutrition. This client is in their 30's & is in a predicament similar to that of many Americans struggling with weight gain, the feeling of associated with poor eating habits & a sedentary lifestyle, & the growing concerns of being unhealthy & getting old, a potentially fatal pairing. As you can imagine, the main "food" is coming from fast food & gas stations while filling up with gas. Standard American Diet = S.A.D. This clients diet is high in sugars, saturated fats, sodium, loads of calories, & flushed down with 32oz soda pop.

Here is a snap shot of this clients route: NO BREAKFAST or "something" if stopping off & grabbing some gas, lunch can be chips or a microwave dish flushed down with another coke, & dinner is a meat packed dish & TV sloth until well after midnight. Already knowing the answer from this lifestyle of sugar & absolutely NO physical activity, I asked," How do you feel in the morning & what do you see in the mirror while you brush your teeth?" I wasn't prepared for their response. " I feel like SH*T & I haven't brushed my teeth in the morning in years because I can't stand looking at the bags under my eyes." It was all I could do to keep from crying with this client. I mean, could you imagine what this person has been feeling & what that has done to the body?!?!?

After allowing for time for the client to say & just be, I reassured them that I will do everything in my power to help SLOWLY change this downward spiral into a positive & bright situation. I explained that I am willing to write up simple new dishes ( lentils, quinoa, beans, etc ) and very easy instructions to follow. We talked about Dirty Brown's Cycles, a place were used bikes are sold, how beneficial walking right after dinner can be. Isn't not swimming so you don't have to wait & watch TV for 30min.

Last night, I received the call, " I just bought a 60 dollar bike!!" The enthusiasm in their voice was beyond measure!!! After we talked for a few seconds & made this suggestion & I hope they follow through, take the time & keep the answer to yourself if you so choose, step on a scale & write down what you see. With reassurance I explained that with simply substituting water for soda & easy bike rides, that number will change rapidly & you will want to share that new number with not only me but with everyone. And that they are becoming a success story & others will follow. "Remember, thats how you found me."

So yesterday, after I did a sweet lifting workout, I stopped off at their work with two simple recipes. One is a quinoa dish & the other is a simple pasta dish. I showed them & a co-worker that these dishes will be more than enough for dinner with the idea that you will save the leftovers in a container for work the next day & THAT THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE MICROWAVED!! By saving time they will have 10 minutes to walk during their lunch break as a positive option as well. I wish I had a camera because both of them had a look like…. REALLY…. Walk During Lunch…. WHY?? Or it was a look of…. YES… Walking At Lunch….. Not sure which is which but their faces were a classic & I look forward to hearing the updates. And on a side note here, they both were at the window watching me ride away on my bike, I smiled & waved, they acted like little children, too funny but it was one of those visions I had before falling off to the dream world last night.


2 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy! Look at you making positive differences in someone's life! That is freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penguin, its been a magical journey, not just for me. You Are Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete