Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Single Track Trails Around North Klondike Bluff Utah



MAD Racing was once again the timing company for the Grand Fondo race in Moab Utah. Its been highlighted on my calendar and my anticipation was building as we neared our departure date.


Registration had closed the Saturday before the events so we were able to causally assign bib numbers and program chips for the capped 300 riders. The event sold out at 314 but about 50 or so never picked up their bibs the night before.


The race is basically a KOM and QOM for the top 5 for each category. The organization designed it this way so that nobody would take chances back down the other side of the La Sal Mountain. I bring this up because ALL the finishers were in fabulous spirits after a 100K ride. Nobody pissed or moaned about their time or placement. Dig That

5th Month 
After the well run Grand Fondo, Klishy & I headed for the North Klondike Bluff near the Moab airport. Utah's desert floor painted us a full on blooming BoB Ross masterpiece and I was completely awestruck.


I have never witnessed such spring like beauty here in Utah. As Junction warms up, Moab trends about 5F to 10F degrees warmer than GJ, I would load up The Boy Dog and we would head for the Grand Mesa in search of remaining snow pack levels and cooler temps. The Boy Dog throughly enjoyed eating and rolling in snow.


Look at all of those Flatbud Prickly Poppy standing at attention in this valley. Normally, these trails are like riding on Mars. Sure, its beautiful when its arid and weathered by the intense summer heat, but a lush desert is something else entirely.


And check out the La Sal range in the distance. This ride would be example of when I am not Strava  hungry. Sure, I recorded the mileage. But I was so mesmerized by the colors around me that pace or time became secondary. I even admit to that daydream feeling of flying like a bee with a full on desire to be pollinated.


Even this simple hunk of quartz grabbed my attention with all the Wolly Locoweed and soon to open Cooper's Dogweed in the background. There were scattered quartz pieces along the trail and dotted colorings of wildflowers as well. Klishy and I parted ways at this spot. He is a gifted athlete and powered himself around the larger loop. I was satisfied with rolling back on the Dino Trail.


I mean, CHECK THAT OUT. This is Utah after all


A Blooming Hesperoyucca Whipple?!?!? Unreal. I have only seen these in bloom down in La Paz Mexico. And they were everywhere here in Eastern Utah!! And just behind it was the start of a blooming Barrel Cacti. And behind that is the beautiful Raglan Bahia in all its healthy glory. Crazy Gorgeous


I stopped here to send off a few photos, videos, and noticed almost no evidence of mankind. Again, normally this ride feels as if its the virgin solo mission on Mars but today this area was waking up and chalk full of new life.


This section of the Dino-Flow between Little Salty and Baby Steps flippin' ROCKS!! Pun Intended. The Juniper Trees are in perfect aliment for leaning through the curve or hopping over a slab while keeping safe from its projecting limbs. Beautifully well placed rocks define the trail. The whole Dino Flow line is Epic!!


My loop consisted of the Chilkoot Pass > Agate East > Jasper West > Jurassic to Dino - Flow. At that point of Dino, Klishy rode up Klondike Bluff > Baby Steps > Alaska > Homer.

On this map, the HAPPY FACE next to the Dino TH, righteous section to ride. Klishy & I updated each other with cell phone photo of our current locations. All Went According To Plan


These Purple Fringe groupings were tucked in  so nicely around all that sandstone. They enjoyed the company of Notch-Leaf Phacelia and jaw dropping Silver-Leaved Phacelia. Oh, by the way, were are my paleontologist friends because dinosaur tracks are everywhere in this particular region. And I Am Clueless



And Now For Something Completely The Same
Hope you find the humor in that Monty Python twist. My last few days on the borrowed bike wheel from Fast Eddie was spent on morning rides at the Lunch Loops and I enjoyed even more blooming wildflowers. So Picture Perfect


The stunning Indian Paint Brush normally stands out to me but those Bur Marigold yellows have totally drawn me in.


This patch of Navajo Spinach stopped me dead. I sat here and munched down on my sandwich and soaked up the views from this vantage point. I responded / sent texts and never saw a single soul.


And that is just about the time a sexy common gardner snake slithered right between my feet and up along the "boulder" that I was seated upon. I didn't move a muscle and he didn't have a care in the world. Peaceful Crossing of Paths







GOALS:

  1. Hosting Uncle Grubby And Showing Him A Tremendous GJ Time
  2. Speak My Truth With Wingnut
  3. One Max Rep on the Bench, Weigh Myself, & Incorporate A Few New Exercises 
  4. Finish Off My Notes For The May 13th Radio Show
  5. Hydrate Baby 
Until Next Time,
Cheers

24 comments:

  1. Beauty in a harsh landscape. Desert ecology may seem minor to many, but so important to the environment. I enjoyed the photos. But this? "I even admit to that daydream feeling of flying like a bee with a full on desire to be pollinated." Splutter! I can help you with that. Sorry, I go too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desert looks amazing in spring Padre, you captured amazing images to share with us.. I laughed out loud when I read Andrew's comment above, you asked for that 😉😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envisioned the scene of rolling in Pollen, leave it to Andrew. Glad you had a giggle.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Loved your pictures and your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic,
      Stoked You Saw These Because Your Photos Always Rank Towards The Top.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. I'll admit, the beauty of the desert is growing on me as my soul gets older, crustier and sandier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos, I need to pack up the Bucksaw on the back of the FIT one of these days soon and get out a ride Fruita and Moab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Those Miles To The Gallon, See Ya Soon

      Cheers

      Delete
  6. Awesome photos!! I saw a few on Strava and was struck with how green the greens looked in comparison to the red earth. Crazy! Nice to get all the back story to the photos too. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanx Beth!! Butt Rubs For Jax!!

      Cheers

      Delete
  7. Awesome photos of a harsh landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx For Popping In And Dropping A Comment. Enjoy Your Weekend!!

      Cheers

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos. Living in the midwest, I always love to see different landscapes. It's truly amazing how varied the terrain is in the US.

    Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx For Popping In Wendy And I Appreciate Your Comment

      Cheers

      Delete
  9. What a truly amazing place. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rather Amazing For Sure

      Many Thanx,
      Cheers

      Delete
  10. Your life seems to be very adventurous.The images showing dessert like conditions are not very inviting. Best wishes for your new explorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uppal,
      Thanx For Your Kind Words. Will Continue To Explore When I Can. Thanx For Stopping By And Dropping A Comment.

      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Love all the unusual flowers and plants -- so different from anything I ever see in my part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brother Steve,
      The High Desert Sure Does Offer Up Real Beauty. Thanx Ever So Much For Stopping By And Dropping A Comment. Have A Brilliant Weekend.

      Cheers

      Delete
  12. I was in that area when you were. It was pretty amazing - we were doing stuff within about 50 mile radius of there for 3 weeks. When we first arrived, there were NO flowers. We were super disappointed. But, by the end, I was in the same state of mind as you. Did you see the Claret cacti. INCREDIBLE!!!! I am so glad that we both got to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Now All Of The Cacti In The Grand Valley Are Blooming. You Are Right, INCREDIBLE!! Really Been Enjoying The Single Track Riding This Past Week. Will Be Posting Photos Soon As Its A Big Weekend Here In GJ.

      Cheers

      Delete